Crumbed beef with quick pickle cabbage and smoked cheddar.
A quick pickle for a quick post. I’m not sure where this year has gone, it’s May already and the little lad is almost one! Perhaps it’s because there hasn’t really been a shift in the weather, still sitting close to the 20s most days, but looking out the window now it seems that might change, with the deluge causing havoc on poor Wellingtons drainage.
Anyway, I digress, cabbage is great, pickled cabbage is better, fiery hot funky fermented cabbage is off the hook, slaw is so blah, so what do you do when you have cabbage, don’t have time to really get it off it’s rocker and don’t want to stoop to boring boring slaw? Quick pickle it! You may need to adjust the salt and sugar levels, it will taste salt after you've mixed it, but when finished you'll be loosing most of that salt in liquid anyway, up the chilli if you like it hot.
1 Quarter of a savoy cabbage
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Kosher salt
1 tsp chilli
- Dump the sugar, salt and chilli into a bowl, mix together.
- Core and slice the cabbage into thin strips, put in the bowl.
- Massage the cabbage into the salt mix, knead and squeeze for a couple of minutes.
- Place a plate on the cabbage and weigh down, leave at room temperature for half an hour or so.
- Squeeze all of the liquid out of the cabbage and transfer to a container. It’s ready to eat now and will keep a few days in the fridge.