125 g Butter
125 g Sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 tsp salt
50 g Cornflour
75 g Wheat flour
1 tsp Baking powder
Sugar and Butter to coat
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Grease a large ramekin with butter and sprinkle sugar on the base.
- Peel and slice the apple very thinly, I prefer to use a mandoline for this.
- Arrange the apple slices on the base of the ramekin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is pale yellow and fluffy. Beat in the egg along with the vanilla.
- Sieve in the salt, flours and baking powder, fold the dry mix in, take care not to overwork the batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the ramekin and try not to disturb the apple layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and turn out onto a plate. Enjoy with lashings of cream, whipped or not.